Great doco on Fracking - "Frack them all"

They found 3 types of Uranium in their water, many of their kids are getting cancer, they protest and complain to their government and nothing is done. They showed one man who’s teeth just started falling out and corroding from the water…

2 Likes

Here’s another ‘Voices From The Gasfields’

Voices From The Gasfields - Ian R Crane

My song ‘No Fracking Way’ is featured on the end credits, though I recommend you watch it all. Scary, scary stuff! Meritocracy simply has to take a stand against Fracking, as one of it’s environmental policies.

thanks, will watch it :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting this. I didn’t know too much about this before, but I should since the oil industry is so important to Canada. In my province, fracking hasn’t taken off yet, but thankfully people have already started a petition to ban it, and it has a large amount of support. In the western provinces fracking is large scale. New Brunswick(eastern) seems to have established a moratorium, and they are traditionally the ones hurting for cash. Still, they have always valued life over money, it seems. In Alberta(major oil producer on a global scale) they have just kicked the Conservatives(misnomer - they conserve nothing but profits and Christian values) out after 44 years. The oil prices slumped, and the premier wanted to raise taxes on the people but not corporations. Good to see they took a stand. What’s yet to be seen is how much of difference it will make that the NDP’s now have power. We’ve seen them mess it up before, and how much can they change the game? Will they just be punished by the markets? How far can social change go when it plays into the current paradigm?

Anyways, this is an important issue because if people are willing to have their entire environment made toxic so some greedy bastards can make a buck, then aren’t they prepared to take anything? What else is there? What would you do if your teeth were falling out and your kid was getting cancer!? There are alternative methods for energy production yet we have to use to the most destructive ones?

Yep, there’s my polemic for the day.

“If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.” Lao Tzu

1 Like

I forgot to add that Quebec seems to have fracking completely banned.

I’m originally from a very poor region of West Virginia, and as such am more than familiar with this subject. American Water is a corporation whose fracking has made water in some parts of southern WV full on toxic and deadly. The story even made the daily show a few times, but still what happens here is of little concern to the outside world. Nearly everyone in my community knows how dangerous fracking is, knows first-hand the cost to environment and life, but are unable to do anything about it. If you took the fracking/pipeline work out of our valley, along with the coal industry, then our entire existence would crash overnight. Service sector businesses couldn’t operate without that influx of corporate money, and overnight we’d turn into Romania or Bulgaria.

Its funny how many well-meaning liberals fight this issue tooth and nail, referring to the stupid, conservative, rednecks who support these policies and watch the environment fall apart. Its too bad they don’t realize the lack of choice we have. “Die in poverty or work for the mines; FUCK YOU.” That is’ the reality we know. Coming from left or right, nobody offers us a solution. This is exactly why I feel environmental issues should be directly tied to an awareness of resource-based economy ideals. You can’t point your finger at “the others” forever. We can’t keep blaming uniformed working people as the cause of their predicament. We must directly attach our activism with a solution to real-world problems, we need to make “conservative” and “liberal” obsolete. We need to be “sane”.

1 Like

They do try to create a “Catch 22” scenario, where it seems as though you are check-mated either way. A resource-based economy is the next logical step, so while you’re employed and working for the devil you might as well be sabotaging all the devils efforts by educating as many others as you can…

Me personally, I left my job, now i’m self-employed earning $5k per year, I live like a cyber-monk. But I’m happier than I was when I was earning 20x as much. At least I’m not working for Satan anymore.

When you’re working for someone you can’t use your intuition to make the right decisions, someone else is telling you what to do, “destroy that environment”, “evict that person”, “squeeze out more profits”, thats why they call it an employment con-tract, the deal with the devil.

1 Like

Believe me man, I understand. I opted out of the scenario and now live in my car, but found ways to make money online. I’ve got a laptop, mobile hotspot, and just bought a goal-zero solar generator. I feel like if I have to sell my self out at all an employer, than it should be temporary and with an escape strategy. Every penny needs to be spent wisely.

If you struggle to get water at times you might be able to purchase or build a “Water Condenser”, there are various designs, but basically they collect water vapor from the air and you can have enough for drinking and cooking. There are some videos on youtube for how to build them or you can buy a commercial model.

In a Van, to keep up your essential vitamins and minerals you could grow a superfood like Spirulina within small water tanks.

Buying a 10-Kg bag of rice lasts a long time, earning money online is possible although some avenues are shrinking, street busking is humbling and learning a small instrument like a Ukulele (only has 4-strings) isn’t that bad.

It’s too easy to be homer simpson with a stable job, but homer lives in daily hell. His soul is stuck to the wall and he is unable to change anything in his life.