How to win an argument about a 100% Inheritance Tax

Two babies are born in the same hospital, one from a rich mother and the
other from a poor mother. The two babies are mistakenly switched at
birth, the poor baby goes to the rich mother and the rich baby goes to
the poor mother. 18-years later, who should inherit the Billionaires
estate? The poor baby who was brought up by the rich mother, or the rich
baby who was brought up to live in the poor slums in poverty?

Either way it’s check mate.

Except that irrational family types hardly give two shits about that. The whole passing on one’s legacy transcends reason in a lot of people’s minds.

Seriously, ask the average person, they’d choose slums!!!

You are right that irrationality kicks in rather quickly on this topic, I guess at that point you can declare yourself the winner of the argument. When they stop refuting anything you’ve said and resort to swearing and name calling haha :laughing:

At that point you can always chuck in this quote:

“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt

I tried to explain it to a friend, is this correct:- If I own a successful business, then when I die If my son deserves to run the company he may apply for the job like all other applicant’s, It is up to me to train him so that he deserves to run the company. If he shows no interest and others could run it better I can still buy him a house and leave him some of my assets to set him up for life, but he will not have power over my business? Or can I not even leave him a house?

We are not debating how you play the current game. We are debating what rules of the game should be changed.

If you want to play the current game then give as much favor to your family as possible in the hope that they won’t secretly desire that you die quicker so that they can inherit all your wealth as soon as possible.

Also, there is an assumption that money is a good thing. Yet I have never met a rich person who has impressed me with their personality. So by giving money you could in fact be doing your children great damage and stopping them from working on themselves and achieving their maximum potential.

You must have miss understood me, I was asking about 100% Inheritance tax, which is not current yet, at least not in Australia. I am not rich, I rent and struggle and have no ‘Money’ not that I mentioned money.
To be more direct about my question, my daughter is Autistic and I fear that when she is older she may not be able to fend for herself without help from others, she has a beautiful personality at 8 years old. As my fear of not being here for her is so strong we have given her two younger brothers who will hopefully be here longer than me.
I have started my own business which has been running for 3 years, I am still a sole trader, the business feeds us and pays the rent and that’s it. Larger companies get most of the work though my prices are cheaper I can’t afford much advertising and the larger companies have put systems in place to ensure they can only get the follow up work.
If I could I would buy a small block of land and build a fully sustainable small farm, with solar power, fruit and vege’s and some animals to slaughter (yuk)
I would be happy to leave that behind for my kids, but at this stage I don’t think I’ll ever be able to.
My question is still unanswered, if 100% Inheritance Tax was the current ‘game’ as you refer to it, who would have the right to run my business and what happens to my little farm if i’m ever able to achieve such a dream?
Sorry if my question seemed stupid, but I am not an overly smart person.

I understand, I am in a similar financial situation, also with a small business, and I also dream of one day having a self-sufficient property, with a community of like-minded Introverts around me as well. Autism is a gift, once you find that one thing that gives them passion they will keep working at it like anything. In the future as our right and left brains gain more connections we will all have to better understand “Autism” within ourselves too.

Ok as for the 100% inheritance tax as I understand it, the transfer of any significant wealth from one individual to another will be prohibited whether you are living or dead (as via a will). But during the transition phase before we get there the Scottish/ UK Meritocracy party has proposed a 100% inheritance tax for anything over 10-million pounds, this is a transitional concept and might gain more support from regular people, fingers crossed.

See by the time a full 100% inheritance tax would be implemented our Capitalism would pretty much only exist for “wants” while all anyone’s “needs” would be covered like housing, food, water, medicine, education, etc… all your needs covered, nothing to fear, it would remove fear from society. But then we keep capitalism for the “wants”, as wants will always exist i think its fair to keep the monetary economy for the wants alone. This is just my prediction, not the official standpoint on the matter, but it makes logical sense to give everyone their needs, and essentially Meritocracy is about giving everyone the same start in life so maybe it is exactly what I’ve said.

We both live in Australia, one of the luckiest most fortunate countries in the world. Our welfare system will take care of your kids no matter what happens, you can thank Abraxas you don’t live in Somalia.

Thanks for the answer, I should have studied more about the rules they are proposing before I joined, but was hoping to find out more by joining this group, but as yet I know only as much as when I joined. Are you seriously fighting for this?

It seems a bit unfair, why bother to strive for the best job or to learn a different career that pays better to improve the lifestyle of your family, if when you die it is all taken away? I could die tomorrow, if it was 100% Inheritance Tax now then what happens to my wife and kids?
What is classed as significant wealth? Will they take my car away? How will my wife get my son to his regular hospital appointments? Why spend your whole life trying to pay of a mortgage when it all goes to the government or the people?
Why should the rich be mistreated? There wives and kids out on the streets due to a freak heart attack of there most loved father or husband?

Why can’t I want? I’ve always wanted a boat. I don’t need one, but I live on the Gold Coast and all the rich people have boats and can get to the small private islands, while we sit across on the beach dreaming for a better society, then it comes, and I only get what I need? Who gets to say what I need? A friend of mine would say ‘Mate you need a boat, get out and relax with the kids, get back to nature mate go fishing, really sucks you guys can never afford to go out anywhere’ but sounds like the Meritocracy party would just say ‘you don’t need one’ Then the local boat shop closes down, boat builders are on the streets again.

See when I joined I was under the impression that it was power you could not pass on, that our leaders would be people who are skilled in the area that they are involved in, and that owners of companies like TV stations and Newspapers can’t appoint there family as CEO when they die, there wives and kids can still live in the house they grew up in and continue to drive the car there rich dad brought them, but they can not have control over the company unless they have merit to do so.

Then small business owners like us would be happy to comply, if my son does not have the merit/skills to run my small business because he chose to get pissed all day and live of daddy’s money that is his choice, I’ll buy him enough piss to live of for the rest of his life and he can live in my old house when I die. If he wants a steady flow of money to buy a new ‘boat’ he can work hard and study hard. Is that not it?

Well I don’t do that, I sure used to do that in my early twenties, did the whole “I’m a good person because I do everything for MY family” thing - how again does that make you a good person? Donald Trump also does everything for HIS family, but he would fuck over your family any day. So in terms of an “ethical argument” it’s not even ethical, it’s my family eats your family. That’s very far removed from the meaning of life.

The meaning of life is to grow and learn and to keep acquiring new skills, and so your understanding of how the Universe works keeps expanding. Having a job and paying the bills has very little to do with that. Any single job will never fulfill all those intrinsic needs, so if anything you should always acquire new knowledge and new skills during your spare time.

Yes I am seriously fighting for this, because I do not support people who inherit money like Paris Hilton’s younger brother Conrad Hilton see: http://www.people.com/article/conrad-hilton-arrested-airplane-assault

I also do not support paying rent to some fuck wit who owns 2,000 apartments when I don’t even own one myself, simply because I was born out of this random vagina and not his mothers random vagina.

Some of your concerns have been answered in other posts, like in a husband + wife scenario, the husband dies then the wife gets to stay in the property until her death too. But then it goes back to the state. Have you ever asked yourself why your life is so hard? Maybe its because all the pricks who inherited massive fortunes are raising the prices every year, charging you rent, or mortgage interest. So you can’t propose one rule for the rich and another rule for the poor, any rules in a new society should apply to everyone to get rid of hypocrisy.

But please I am not the official spokes person for Meritocracy. Please read the other topics and posts on this website, it’s not an easy concept to understand straight away and therefore it can be misunderstood. If you want an official picture of a Technocratic Meritocracy just watch the original Star Trek television series from the 60’s - a society with no money, no rich elites lording over everyone else, and only your merit and skills defining your social rank.

When did I mention being a good person? Maybe a good parent or husband, God you went on about the meaning of life, thanks for the tips but everyone is on a different path so lives vary.

Anyway sounds like I don’t want to ask you a simple question, might as well ask a preist why dinosaurs are not in the bible, I’m not here to argue or defend myself over being a caring parent, nor to blame my mother for my position in life or to think of her as a vagina, I know people who have been born from similar wombs as what my mother provided who now own 30 houses because they were smart. And didn’t just surf and chase a stupid dream of making music like myself.

I wanted to learn about Meritocracy, this does not really help me much, I will just keep out of it from now on. Thanks for the eye opener.

Yes there are self-made wealthy people but the ratio of old money to new money is something like 99% to 1%. So your chances of getting rich from nothing is very slim because old money has created barriers of entry at every step of the way. There are also people who lie, cheat and steal, and claim bankruptcy 4-times like Donald Trump. Bankruptcy is just legalized theft, stealing from all your investors and then starting up again to claim bankruptcy over and over again.

Starting from zero, did they really start from zero? From trailer trash? From the slums? Or were their parents upper middle class lawyers? There is a HUGE difference in the advantages and opportunities you get.

A core feature of Meritocracy is the 100% inheritance tax. It’s pretty much the only rule of it that can’t be changed. A society based on merit cannot exist without it, as how would people gauge a person’s merit if their starting pointing was not the same, if he went to a private school and another person didn’t? So our idea of “family” here should extend to everyone, imagine you being born in anyone’s family, the probability of that happening was just as likely as you being born in your current family. Then the affinity you feel to anyone on the street would only depend on how much time you’ve spent with them.

I hope to find common ground with you, have you looked at “The Zeitgeist Movement” or “The Venus Project”? Please watch this documentary, it may give you some hope for the future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SuGRgdJA_c :musical_note:

Do you believe in football friend? (redneck voice) well how bout we give your opposing team thirty points before the coin toss? No? Well hows come its okay to give your youngin 30 million before most of the world can warm up for the economic game?

Well said Catalyst_Coop, we don’t host a running race and let the rich kids start 200-feet up the track. We also don’t allow you to bring a Ferrari to a race with classic Nissan Skylines. Why should the rules for the game of life be any different?