Meritocracy Song

I’m currently in the process of writing a Meritocracy song, not sure how useful it will be but the aim is to help raise awareness.

I have a (still rather rough) musical idea down and have some lyrical ideas also. I’ve gone for a electro rock vibe in the premise of trying to make it at appeal at least slightly to the general public. Trying to write an all out “pop” song is probably do-able but far from being my forte.

I thought we could perhaps share ideas here for the lyrics (again, not my forte!). I’ll write down some of the ideas I have so far and if anyone would like to add to these or help improve them it would be greatly appreciated.

Cameron, Miliband, Farage, Clegg
Get the memo, Capitalism’s dead
Bankers, Wankers, Greedy fucks
Watch your back Meritocracy’s in flux (a ‘clean’ version may be better!)

The cracks are starting to grow,
In the political puppet show,
Wealth’s not relative to smarts,
Off with their heads like the queen of hearts.

The league of nobodies leads the way,
As they gather together you can hear them say,
Time for something new, no more hypocrisy,
Time for revolution, Meritocracy.

You think your more worthy than me,
'Cos you got more money than me,
Living in a land of fantasy,
Soon to be destroyed by reality

Cronyism, nepotism creating your own hell,
Their life, their soul, there’s nothing they wont sell.
Rich ghosts of our past haunting our futures
Too many dead men controlling the waters.

Meritocracy now,
We need,
Meritocracy now

So it’s lots of ideas at the moment but not a lot of continuity, and I’m sure the structure will change a lot to fit with the vocal melody/song structure.

Sean, I know you write music as well, so we could try and join forces somehow (and any other musicians out there!). Feel free to use some of these lyrics and if you have any suggestions they are more than welcome. It might be good if we have songs in different genres to increase the potential demographic?

I was considering creating a task on Podio for this but wasn’t sure how relevant it would be. Let me know if you think it’s worthwhile.

Any feedback welcome!

1 Like

Good idea! It can’t do any harm, seeing as this is propaganda war on all fronts. So the arts should be included, as well as the reasoned arguement & political angles.

Have you made a rough demo as yet? Would be good to hear the music, or post the chord progressions as a guide…

I’ll help out no problem if needed.

Re - clean version - how about -

Bankers, spankers, greedy bucks ?

Here is a hip-hop artist that has meritocracy mentioned in some of his works. I didn’t bother to find those songs so here’s all the songs (a YouTube channel)

1 Like

also instrumentals for video background music might be useful

Yeh I was thinking this also. We could perhaps throw suggestions of current songs that might work well behind Sean’s dialogue he recorded recently. I was thinking of trying to come up with something powerful/orchestral to go behind these videos. Already recognisable tunes would probably work well though.

Sean, the clean version is good! I’ll work on it some more tonight and perhaps upload something. It’s still very much in the development/ideas stage though.

1 Like

All good Joel - except you have to watch out for ‘breach of copyright’ with certain tunes, unless the writer has been dead for over 50 yrs…