Seasteading as a model of Meritocracy

Hey everyone.

I would like to discuss the possibility of creating a meritocratic seastead. For those of you unfamiliar with the seasteading movement, their website is here:

http://www.seasteading.org/?intro=close

Essentially the premise is that we, as humans, are born into a country and therefore don’t really have a choice in the type of government that represents us. Even as we get older we learn that every country really only follows a blueprint of one or two governmental trains of thought so if we want to explore some alternative ideas for government…well we cant.

The movement is about creating self sustainable society out in international waters that function under a government of the community’s choosing. So we could have a meritocratic seastead along side an anarchist or communist or democratic seastead.

Meritocracy will be hard to demonstrate as effective without having a working model. I think we should try to get involved with the seasteading movement to create such a working model. If you read their website, they stand for a lot of the same principles and ideas that we stand for.

Additionally, since we are still starting off and in such small numbers loosely organized across the globe, consolidating into a single place where we can begin to implement our governmental ideas today, now, in the present, is a strategic and helpful idea.

Not only would it offer a working model that can demonstrate the peace, prosperity, and equality that meritocracy promises, but it could serve as kind of a meeting place/rally point for like minds. Ultimately, if I am curious about democracy or communism, then the most effective way for me to understand the system would be to travel to a country that has that model and live/experience the government first hand. This is how I facilitate the transition of academic understanding to intrinsic knowing of truth; by experience. A seastead would be experiential evidence of meritocracy.

Where do people go to experience Meritocracy and learn of its benefits? My answer is the Meritocracy seastead that we build. A melting pot for like minds unified in their morals/ideals for government.

This is in every way as challenging as getting a party elected within a current country’s system but it is already being pioneered by people whom I would call meritorious, and who are at the very least, interested in exploring what it means to be free. To me, meritocracy offers a stepping stone towards the freedom I desire on a soulful level.

Seasteading is already organized and in the process of enabling all types of governmental ideology to become established and functioning. The most successful of these seasteads will surely seek to campaign for other countries to follow their models so why don’t we put ourselves out there for a shot?

I actually had the opportunity to meet the vice president of the movement and I still have his card. If there is anyone interested, I would love to reach out to him and talk about getting a meritocratic seastead going and the steps involved. I think it is a goal that is more practically accomplished in the short term and will be an invaluable asset in accomplishing the long term goal of getting elected as a governing body of an established country.

Also, I feel like creating a constitution relevant to each country’s already established bureaucracy without having a unified and consistent global meritocratic constitution is counter productive. It would be better to have unified constitutional goals that are then adapted to get through the red tape of each and every country.

A seastead would be an ideal environment to draft such a unified constitution as well as a tangible place for interested people to come and learn and get involved.

Anyone out there have some very deep pockets? We could get started today, in fact, I have recently quit my job in the pursuit of a more meaningful life and therefore am prepared to dedicate my time to such a task. Maybe we could crowdfund a seastead, or design eco friendly and bolstering companies that could draw in investors. My point is, I would move there before I moved to any other country, I am prepared to do so, and I am capable of helping in both the design and the creation of such a place. My restrictions are silly and financial and the time is now.

I would love to build a meritcratic community model and I’m at a loss as to how to create a truly meritocratic community anywhere but international waters. Anywhere else would require some degree of conformity to the countries established laws and practices. I, and we, are done with conformity. Lets put our money where our mouth is and create!

Anyone interested?

2 Likes

There was an art project for the Olympics called “Nowhere Island”, which seemed to be along those lines.
I thought it had a lot of potential, but I didn’t think it came anywhere close to realising it.

It’s definitely very interesting and sounds like an exciting project. I read through the FAQ that says a retrofitted cruiser costs around $10 million.

They expect the cost of 1ft2 to be $300-400 for residents. Let’s say $350, which would make it around $3745 (2890€) for 1m2. That would make 120m2 cost approximately 346,800€ which is viable for middle-class / upper middle-class income. 120m2 is a lot though unless you have a big family (most people where I live have 60-80m2 apartments).

Let’s say you’re a crazy entrepreneur and only need 30m2 (which is a comfortable size). That would be … 86,700€. Of course the ideal thing would be that you can get a mortgage on that and that you’re buying a ready-to-go module that’s basically a boat which allows you to move around (to avoid storms and rogue waves as the FAQ mentioned).

This isn’t taking into account that you could probably share a module with someone.

I’d look more at the bottom-line, which should go down in price as the technology develops. And also determine the minimum number of meritocrats you’d need to get a small ocean village going. 10? 25? 50?

TL;DR; You’d need a well-developed minimum viable model for this that people can get excited about and join/save up.

[quote=“Roberto, post:3, topic:238, full:true”]
It’s definitely very interesting and sounds like an exciting project. I read through the FAQ that says a retrofitted cruiser costs around $10 million. [/quote]
Start with something more modest and build a giant raft around it…

1 Like

Hm, that’s another interesting option. What would worry me about that is that you’re a sitting duck for storms … you’d need to go somewhere with good weather and make sure you build everything to withstand the unexpected.

This video just appeared from the Seasteaders -

Silicone Valley/The Future

Some interesting parts, though it drags on a bit…

1 Like

A design competition has been announced …

Design Competition