Tangible Human Results

What actions can we take on the local level to achieve positive effects in our communities that bring them closer to the goal of Equal Opportunity for Every Child and Meritocratic Democracy’s vision for society?

For example:

• Volunteering at soup kitchens.
  • Starting up food banks.
  • Planting food.
  • Helping underfunded schools get the equipment they need.
  • Volunteering for after school activities, e.g. sports.
  • Offering free lessons in a subject we’re knowledgeable about.
  • Asking people what they think should be improved locally and galvanising them to take action with us.
  • Etc

I’d love to hear from as many people as possible in this thread. Think about things that you could start doing tomorrow which will either enrich your local community (even if it’s a big city) and help people satisfy their needs. Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs is a great model to study. We want people reaching the pinnacle, self-actualisation.

Any actions proposed should ideally be measurable and scalable.

4 Likes

Are you a musician? A musician in the making? Why not choose a score—or a themed medley (big fun choosing components!)—that wows and inspires the Hero in people. It could be an any genre. You could go solo or gather an ensemble and put together a 5- or 15-minute program, get several local businesses and public venues to let you add to their atmosphere, and go on tour.

If anyone in your group likes to teach, you can use that event to invite people to music lessons, where you accept payment in the form of either money or some other contribution you suggest, based on your initial goals for the group.

If anyone in your group likes to facilitate discussions, the performances can be used to invite people to the new (name your city) Co-op.

1 Like

These are the top layers of two boxes of books I spent an hour and a half plus $15 to choose and purchase for a community library, which seems to want to be named something with “Hero” in it. It’s easy if the used book sale is organized.

You know what? Any of us forming up locally would be wise to spend some time and thought on participants’ personality types and role strengths for optimization of effort. Do you have fountains of ideas that never seem to stop? Maybe you need a systems/strategy person, and a secretarial genius. In the meantime, you can get used books together and tell people a community library for heroes is coming. (One of the people I told was the book sale manager, who decided that $70 was too much to pay for stocking such a cause. I had written $30 but that was after she’d already lowered it just based on sales volume, heh. From now on I’ll just ask whether such a discount is available. Because sometimes it isn’t—until your question gives them the idea that it should be!)

1 Like