Meritocracy in Fast & Furious

Have you ever compared the philosophy of the good guys VS the bad guys in any movie? If you have you would have noticed that they all pretty much share the same characteristics.

For example, in the Fast & the Furious, each bad guy has a hierarchical pyramid structure of employee thugs, while the good guys operate like the knights of the round table - each is equal but different, there is no leader as such but each have there own specialties. There is no pyramid structure for the good guys, there is no boss earning 500x more than the other guys.

Exactly the same in Star Wars, you have the Empire - a big hierarchy with the CEO darth vader at the top, and his major shareholder the Emperor. While the good guys, the jedi’s, have a round council, nobody is the big leader that gets to dictate and earn heaps more than the rest of them. The jedi’s are all equal but different, varying in specialties and skill.

So when next you watch a movie keep your eye out for the philosophies of each side, maybe they are all trying to communicate something eternal?

3 Likes

Spot on Ed! I kind of noticed that ‘without noticing’ if you know what I mean. Subconciously, I suppose. Well done pointing it out!

Thanks SeanMac, I have yet to analyze more movies seriously, I guess it’s easy to switch-off while watching a movie, but if you force yourself to go deeper and interpret what the characteristics of the “good guys” and the “bad guys” are, then you can potentially siphon out the timeless truth within the fiction mythos.

Heraclitus said “Change is the only constant in life". I would say the purpose of meritocracy is to maximize change, evolution, and growth of the individual. While our current debt-slave system tries at every turn to prevent change, to take away peoples time and freedom, so that they specialize into a tiny corner of knowledge and then repeat the same tasks over and over again. So our current system is anti-change, its anti-evolution.

2 Likes

PS - met an old friend only last night, for a few ales at a pub that’s actually called ‘The Tavern.’ Guess what movie was playing on the pub tv? - The Fast & The Furious! Spooky… lol

What’s even spookier is that as I was responding to you now, there was a 15-second mention of Fast & Furious 7 on the news just now.

Fair enough it’s no ‘Star Trek’, but the meritocratic philosophy is there in the background, so maybe it will steer some kids in the right direction. I do like cars though, and I am a fan of car drifting - it requires much skill and it’s quite fun.

1 Like

I think you’ll like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaAu4L2cl4c&feature=em-hot

1 Like

lol Tokyo Drift is another good movie of that genre. Again the bad guys have a heirarchy, the good guys are equal…

Buddy look what’s on TV tonight for me down here in Sydney - http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/tv/detail.php?id=4620029&fta=1&fox=0 Hehehe :smile:

1 Like